Even though it was a junction station, the traffic through Newtown probably never justified a 40 lever signal frame.
This diagram was issued to show the removal of the down end delta crossover, the abolition of all 3 distant signals
(and their replacement with location boards) and the mainline points being downgraded from interlocked to plunger
locked. At this time only 10 levers of the 40 lever frame were actually in use. The end was not far away, on Nov. 18 1953
the line to Cressy was closed turning Newtown into an intermediate branchline station. On Sept. 7 1955 all signals and
what was left of the frame were abolished and the mainline points were equipped with staff locks.