Leyland railmotors
Leyland No 51 in an undated photo
Officially called "Double Ended railmotor" as they were equipped with Leyland engines they were known by that name. They are known to have run services to Bendigo to Echuca, Bendigo to Cohuna, Whittlesea, Wodonga to Tallangatta, Mansfield, Echuca to Balranald and Deniliquin, Lancefield, Bairnsdale to Orbost,  Echuca to Toolamba. they also ran many services to Geelong during World War II. It appears that the arrival of the Walker railmotors led to their demise in 1954. VR built 2 similar railmotors for Tasmania in 1925.
The Central Highlands Tourist Railway is rebuilding RM 53 at Daylesford
Number in Class 4
Number group 51 - 54
Construction period 1925-1926
In service 1925 - 1954
Where built Newport

ABOVE: Leyland No 52, Unknown location and date. (possibly Echuca)

ABOVE: Leyland No 51 at Traralgon, May 29 1933


ABOVE: RM 51 probably photographed just after being built, 1925. photo courtesy PROV


ABOVE: Aftermath of a level crossing collision at the COR platform which was between Paisley and Galvin.

ABOVE: RM 53 sat on a farm at Barongarook, near Colac, from when it was withdrawn until the Central Highlands Tourist Railway rescued it and are currently restoring it to operating condition. It is fortunate that it sat under a roof for all those years. Dec 26 1977. (photo courtesy Geoff Winkler) 

BELOW: RM 53 being restored at Daylesford, Feb 2022. 

BELOW: Diagram courtesy Peter Enlund