ABOVE: Looking east up Greville Street showing the gates and footbridge, interlocked gates removed July 1962
ABOVE: Although this photo was taken some 20 years after the closure of the St Kilda to Windsor line, one of the tracks coming in from thge right may have been original tracks from the St Kilda line, in any case, at the time that this photo was taken they are simply connections from the goods yard to the mainline.
ABOVE: This photo, taken circa 1918 shows the original Windsor signalbox that was replaced with a brick structure in 1926 shown below. Official VR photo
ABOVE: This was the second signalbox at Windsor. These interlocked gates at Union street, and the signalbox, were abolished June 1983. Photo, 1982
ABOVE: E 1102 shunts a J class into the goods yard, Aug 1978.
On Feb. 7 1989 a severe rainstorm hit Melbourne. This up Sandringham train was told to stop at Windsor as there was flooding between Prahran and Sth Yarra, whilst stopped water started rising at Windsor rapidly with the result you see here, at one stage the water was actually above the bottom of the doors. This train never ran again!
ABOVE: Down side station buildings.
ABOVE: A pre electrification photo looking south from the footbridge.
ABOVE: Electric loco 1100 on a down goods at Elsternwick. This photo was taken sometime between 1923 (electric locos 1100 and 1101 introduced) and July 1926 (2 position signals at Elsternwick abolished). Judging by the presence of the well dressed gentlemen on the loco I would guess this is some sort of test run so it could be safely assumed that 1100 is quite new.
BELOW: In attempting a comparison photo I found it very hard to figure out exactly where the original photo was taken as the cutting is much deeper as a result of the re-grading and because most, if not all of the houses in the original photo appear to be gone, perhaps as a result of the cutting deepening? If anyone has any photos showing the goods yard at Elsternwick I would love to see them and share them on this website. Photo below Feb. 2008
ABOVE: This photo, circa 1930, shows the original up platform. The tower to the left of the signalbox can still be seen today.
ABOVE: After electrification (May 1919) and the completion of the installation of 3 position signals (July 1926) nothing much changed at Elsternwick. Here is the view looking west along Glenhuntly Road sometime in the 1930's. In the late 1950's it was decided to sink the rail line under Glenhuntly road thus removing this level crossing. The photo below is simply a close crop of the photo above and shows the competition for city bound passengers between the Victorian Railways and the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board
ABOVE: The above photo is looking south, towards Sandringham, it shows the temporary lines (on the right) not yet in service. The temporary signalbox, which was commisioned on Aug. 30 1959, can be seen above the speed board. Once the temporary lines were commisioned the original lines were torn up and digging commenced to lower the tracks under Glenhuntly road. The photo BELOW is similar to the view at the top of the page, looking west along Glenhuntly road. It shows the temporary lines and signalbox. The temporary gates were hand operated and it looks like the photographer has caught the gate keeper returning to the signalbox.
ABOVE & BELOW: The new low level tracks are now in use
ABOVE: An up Sandringham goods passes through the new up platform.
ABOVE & BELOW: The photographer is looking south, towards Sandringham. 2 position signals are still in use which means this photo was taken before July 18 1926 as that was the date 3 position signals were commisioned between Elsternwick and Brighton Beach. The up train approaching the platform appears to be hauled by a steam loco so it may be before May 28 1919 (date of electrification opening). The post with the number 4 at the right of the photo is not a milepost but a post showing the boundary of a track maintainence section. Notice the signal mast on the overhead structure at the end of the up platform in preparation for 3 position signals.
ABOVE: New and old co-exist for a short time as a brand new "Nexus" train goes past a 1910 era semaphore signal at North Brighton. Jan. 9 2004.
ABOVE: An up steam hauled suburban in the charge of E 36 departs Middle Brighton, circa 1902. With electrification there was a surplus of this type of loco and 20 E's were sold to the S.A.R. in 1921 including this one, E 36 became their M 266.
ABOVE: Up side station buildings pre-electrification.
ABOVE: A down Sandringham consisting of the relatively rare M - T - D consist departs Middle Brighton. No trace remains remains of the small goods yard seen on the right. The connection to the Middle Brighton yard was controlled by Dendy Street signalbox. July 3 1977 Photo courtesy Peter J. Vincent
Brighton Beach looking towards Melbourne circa 1900. This is a good shot of the centre pivot arms that did not have a green lens but showed a white light for "proceed" Of particular interest is the 2 armed semaphore on the left. As there is no separate signal for an up train to depart from the dead end platform (platform on the left) it would appear that the 2 armed signal post on the left contains the up home signals for both the dead end platform and the yard
During construction of the first stage of electrification VR took many photos of the new works. Here we see the newly erected overhead structuresand wiring at Brighton Beach, prior to conversion to 3 position signals, note the signalbox on the right. circa 1919. Note the notch in the disc signal, it appears that this disc turned toward the post rather than the normal situation where the disc would turn away from the post, no doubt done for clearance reasons. Official VR photo.
ABOVE: Tram 33 is seen at the Brighton Beach terminus of the 5' 3" gauge VR ELECTRIC Street Railway that ran from St Kilda station and was opened in 1906. On Jan. 1 1957 the line was cut back to Middle Brighton crossover. The last section of this street railway, Middle Brighton to Elwood depot, closed June 1957. The brick parapet seen to the right of the tram locates the end of a short tunnel section of rail line that ran from Brighton Beach "luggage room" (goods shed) along the pier seen on the right. Photo circa 1930's
ABOVE: 2 Tait's are stabled at Brighton Beach, 1980.
ABOVE : A down Sandringham bound Tait departs Brighton Beach. Dec. 12 1983. Within 12 months of this photo being taken, Taits would be history. Photo courtesy John Ward
ABOVE: Looking towards Melbourne from the yard.
ABOVE: A down Sandringham bound Harris goes over the New street crossing which ended up being the last hand gates in use anywhere in Victoria. Photo date 1985
ABOVE: Hampton signalbox, this box was abolished Oct. 1966.
ABOVE::Sandringham looking over Abbot Street towards the terminus. Hard to date this photo but likely to be have taken between 1900 and 1910 photo by Charles Gavan Duffy
ABOVE: This view of Sandringham was taken just before December 1926 when the 2 position signals were abolished and 3 position signals were in service. The interlocked gates across Abbot st. were replaced by boom barriers in March 1967. The signalbox shown still stands and is still very much in use. Official VR photo BELOW: The same view in 2004