ABOVE: A busy scene at Echuca circa 1924, looking south. T 4, builders No. 1735, was built in 1877 by Beyer, Peacock to Order No. 3594 for the Deniliquin and Moama Railway Company. It was a duplicate of the Victorian Railways 0-6-0 introduced to service in 1874. In 1919 the locomotive was given a thorough overhaul at Bendigo North Workshops and came under the control (along with other assets of the company) of the Victorian Railways on 1 December 1923. The locomotive was little used by the Victorian Railways and was scrapped at Newport Workshops during May 1925. At the time the photo was taken the locomotive (and D&M Train) was not equipped with air brake. The locomotive’s VR history card notes “No brake on engine, handbrake on 6 wheels.” (caption courtesy Phil Dunn)

ABOVE: U 111 at Echuca circa 1885, note the slotted arm semaphore signal. Official VR photo

BELOW: The same view taken in 2008, 133 years later Photo courtesy Chris Wurr


ABOVE: circa 1920's view of the Echuca wharf area.

ABOVE: Very early view of Echuca looking towards Bendigo. The passenger platform attached to the goods shed is worth noting. (Photo courtesy State Library of Victoria)

ABOVE: D3 659 at the coal stage at Echuca loco, Jan 1964. (photo courtesy John Ward)

ABOVE: The view out of the loco shed.

ABOVE: School train, 1970's (official VR photo)

ABOVE: DERM # 56 and 2 Y class await the call to duty at Echuca, July 7 1979. (photo courtesy Peter J. Vincent)

ABOVE: A DERM on a railfan special crosses the original bridge over the Murray, 1978.