T class diesel electric locomotives
MODEL: G8B

1st Order (27 locos): T 320 - T 346 & 413 (1 loco)

The T's were VR's most numerous diesel loco class and arrived on the system over a 13 year period (1955 to 1968).

Purchased as VR's primary branchline loco, the T's could be found literally all over the system. VR officials would later admit that they purchased too many T's as the branches were starting to close just as the last T's were being delivered. In my opinion the last 2 orders (20 locos) should never have placed and the money used on X class instead.

Apart from holding down their branchline assignments they were also found in mainline service usually behind a bigger loco, they also could be found running shorter distance passenger trains (Seymour, Ballarat, Kyneton, Werribee/Geelong etc. ) as well as most branchline passenger trains, (Daylesford, Cobram, Bairnsdale, Yarram, Swan Hill, Queenscliff etc.)

All of the T's were built at Clyde's Granville N.S.W. plant.

Until 1984 all of the T's wore the VR blue and gold paint scheme, after this time most T's were painted in several different schemes.

diagram


Builders photo of T 320, note the front handrails which were modified very early in their lives.
Collection of State Library of Victoria collection

T 320 as preserved by the Seymour Historical Society in almost "as delivered" condition, photo date 2004

T 342 at Sth Dynon towards the end of its career showing the chopped valance, photo 1988

T 320 at Port Melbourne in "as built" condition August 20 1955, (the month it was delivered)


T 327 at Sunshine, Feb.1978


T 327 at Sth Dynon, Sep. 1983.


For many years T 333 carried this unique cowcatcher, photo at Newport 1978


T 334 was painted in this scheme in 1986 for a film.

End views of T 328 at Ararat, Dec. 1979
T 328 at Sth Dynon, 1978


T 339 at Sth Dynon, 1979


T 341 at Ararat loco depot, Dec. 1979

T 343 at Sth Dynon loco depot. 1978.

The first T's were quite distinctive with their flat roofline. This was a standard EMD export design and were basically "off the shelf" The bogie mounted sandboxes were also distinctive. The flat roofline made for a very cramped cab and only the shortest crewmember did not have to duck their head when inside. They were however the best riding of all of the T class due, presumeably, to their lower centre of gravity and longer wheelbase. Of all the T's the first series were the least likely to wheelslip when lugging at low speeds.

T's 320 to 333 were delivered with their controls on what became the firemans side. The controls were relocated in early 1966.

T 320 and 321, as delivered the yellow stripe along the side was much narrower as can be seen in the photos of T 320. Exhausts changed over the years as well. In the early 80's several T's had their skirt above the fuel tank area removed for maintenence ease as shown on T 342, T's known to have chopped skirts include 321, 333, 342, 343, 345. Several got yellow handrails and 321 and 345 got distinctive aluminium side cab windows. In 1986 T 345 was electrically modified for hump working along with T 413. T 320 - T 325 kept their fabricated bogies for their entire lives which made them different from the rest of the 1st series T's.

In 1984 13 first series T's were sent to Clyde for a complete rebuild, after rebuilding they became the P class numbered P 11 to P 23.

Road # Serial #
In service
Withdrawn Service life Disposition Color schemes Notes
T 320 55-63
3/8/1955
5/1986 1,681,945 miles to SRHC vrb
T 321 55-65
23/8/1955
5/1986 1,594,102 miles scrapped. vrb Beclawat windows, chopped valance. 1st T scrapped
T 322 55-67
12/9/1955
5/1986 1,603,360 miles to Bob White Electrix vrb
T 323 55-68
26/9/1955
5/1986 1,672,910 miles to Bob White Electrix vrb
T 324 55-73
30/11/1955
6/1986 1,546,157 miles to Bob White Electrix vrb
T 325 55-75
11/12/1955
5/1986 1,626,196 miles scrapped May 1989 * vrb
T 326 55-76
29/5/1956
5/1984 1,494,756 miles conv. to P 23 vrb
T 327 55-78
29/5/1956
12/1984 conv. to P 17 vrb
T 328 56-80
19/6/1956
9/1985 1,456,909 miles conv. to P 22 vrb
T 329 56-82
19/6/1956
6/1984 conv. to P 12 vrb
T 330 56-85
3/7/1956
8/1984 conv. to P 14 vrb
T 331 56-98
3/7/1956
3/1985 conv. to P 19 vrb
T 332 56-99
23/7/1956
11/1984 conv. to P 16 vrb
T 333 56-102
23/7/1956
7/1986 1,614,210 miles to C&MRPS Vic Goldfields Rwy. vrb
T 334 56-105
20/8/1956
12/1989 1,644,874 miles to Mornington Pres. vrb - "ozride" vrb
T 335 56-106
20/8/1956
8/1986 1,658,551 miles scrapped May 1989 * vrb
T 336 56-110
10/9/1956
5/1984 conv. to P 11 vrb
T 337 56-112
24/9/1956
5/1985 conv. to P 20 vrb
T 338 56-114
24/9/1956
6/1985 conv. to P 21 vrb
T 339 56-115
8/10/1956
2/1984 conv. to P 18 vrb
T 340 56-119
31/10/1956
7/1984 conv. to P 13 vrb
T 341 56-120
5/11/1956
5/1986 1,576,095 miles to Yarra Valley Rwy vrb
T 342 56-123
12/11/1956
9/1989 1,629,992 miles to South Gippsland Rwy - steamrail vrb -apm yellow Chopped valance
T 343 56-126
10/12/1956
6/1986 1,523,154 miles to Bob White Electrix vrb
T 344 56-127
10/12/1956
10/1984 conv. to P 15 vrb
T 345 56-128
24/12/1956
12/1987 1,592,865 miles to GNR beclawat windows. sct shunter Adelaide vrb
T 346 56-129 24/12/1956 5/1986 1,580,786 miles sold to Steel & Alloy, scrapped May 1989 * vrb
Info not in bold and * = obtained from August 2005 Newsrail


Four "flat tops" around the turntable at Wodonga, Aug. 29 1983.


Purchased 2nd hand: T 413

T413 was purchased second hand from the Australian Portland Cement quarry which had a railway within its quarry. It was numbered D 1 by its original owner.

Mechanically identical to the first T class order it was the only T fitted with dynamic brakes. From the time VR purchased it until the Cudgewa line closed, (late 70's) it was the main power on this branchline where its dynamic brake was put to good use.

Road # Serial # In Service
In VR service
Withdrawn Service life Disposition Color schemes Notes
T 413 56-107 17/9/1956
7/1969
12/1987 to T 413 pres. group vrb only T with dynamic brakes

BELOW; T 413 at Newport workshops after it was purchased from APC, before it received its modifications to enable
it to run on the VR system.



T 342 at Sth Dynon loco, Jan 2 2010

The article below appeared in the Oct. 1954 VR Newsletter


T 322 on its delivery run in NSW, the wagon behind the loco has its Broad Gauge bogies.

please email me with any corrections,comments or questions

page last modified2/8/13