O open wagons

O 285 at Traralgon, March 1978

Number in Class 38 (1976 total)
24 (1979 total)
Number group 1 - 5, 211 - 388
Construction period 1915 - 1923
In service 1915 - late 1970's
Where built NP,
Diagram
By the late 1970's the only commodity that the remaining O's were carrying was limestone traffic from Nowa Nowa to Maryvale. they were originally VR's main coal carrying wagon, traffic was from State Mine, Wonthaggi to Newport powerhouse for the Melbourne electrification.

From the mid 1950's many O's were modified/recoded to ON, (ballast) and OC, (sand)

ABOVE & BELOW: The 1889 build type that were gone by 1960.


O 259 at Geelong, April 12 1978
Photo courtesy Geoff Winkler

By the mid 70's only 3 of this style O wagon were left, 2, 3 & 5.
photo below, 1977 courtesy Peter J. Vincent



O 286, March 1978


O 322 at Maryvale, Nov. 1980
Photo courtesy Rob O'Regan


O 284 beautifully preserved by the Central Highlands Tourist Railway.
Note, this style of lettering disappeared by the mid 70's.

Photo at Daylesford August 2005

O 376, photographed 1978


O 219, circa 1978
Photo courtesy Peter J Vincent


O 228, circa 1978
Photo courtesy Peter J Vincent



O's 292 and 273 at North Geelong yard, July 24 1978
Photo courtesy Geoff Winkler

Page last updated Sat, Aug 4, 2012